Lived: Dec 19, 1906 – Nov 10, 1982 (age 75)
Height: 5′ 8″ (1.73 m)
Spouse: Viktoria Brezhneva (m. 1928 – 1982)
Buried: Kremlin Wall Necropolis
Children: Yuri Brezhnev (Son) · Galina Brezhneva (Daughter)
Previous offices: Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet (1977 – 1982) · General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (1964 – 1982)Highlights
- 1928: Leonid Brezhnev married Viktoria Brezhneva in 1928.
- 1931: Brezhnev had met Khrushchev in 1931, shortly after joining the Party, and before long, as he continued his rise through the ranks, he became Khrushchev’s protégé.
- 1952: In 1952 Brezhnev became a member of the Central Committee, and during 1964, Brezhnev succeeded Nikita Khrushchev as First Secretary, while Alexei Kosygin succeeded Khrushchev in his post as Soviet premier.
- 1957: He was now a senior member of Khrushchev’s entourage, and in June 1957, he backed Khrushchev in his struggle with Malenkov’s Stalinist old guard in the Party leadership, the so-called “Anti-Party Group”.
- 1977: In 1977, he forced the retirement of Podgorny and became once again Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union, making this position equivalent to that of an executive president.
- 1982: After years of declining health, Brezhnev died on 10 November 1982 and was quickly succeeded in his post as General Secretary by Yuri Andropov.
USSR postage stamp of 1979, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Virgin Lands Campaign