Born: Jan 14, 1741 · Norwich, CT
Died: Jun 14, 1801 · London, England
Spouse: Peggy Shippen (m. 1779 – 1804) · Margaret Mansfield (m. 1767 – 1775)
Buried: St Mary’s Church, Battersea
Children: Lt.-Gen. James Robertson Arnold (Son) · John Sage Arnold (Son) · Capt. William Fitch Arnold (Son) · Sophia Matilda Phipps (Daughter) · Henry Arnold (Son) · Lt. Richard Arnold (Son) · Lt.-Col. George Arnold (Son) · Lt. Edward Shippen Arnold (Son) · Captain Benedict Arnold, VI (Son) · Mary Arnold (Daughter)
Parents: Hannah Arnold (Mother)Highlights
- 1776: Arnold was promoted to brigadier general for his role in reaching Quebec, and he maintained an ineffectual siege of the city until he was replaced by Major General David Wooster in April 1776.
- 1776: General Washington assigned Arnold to the defense of Rhode Island, following the British seizure of Newport in December 1776, where the militia were too poorly equipped to even consider an attack on the British.
- 1779: Peggy and Arnold married on April 8, 1779.
- 1780: In July 1780, he was awarded command of West Point.
- 1780: On August 3, 1780, Arnold obtained command of West Point.
- 1801: He died after four days of delirium on June 14, 1801, at the age of 60.