Date: Aug 27, 1776
American strategy called for the first line of defense to be based on the Heights of Guan, a series of hills which stretched northeast across King’s County. The main defensive works were a series of forts and entrenchments located in the northwest of the county, in and around the Dutch-founded town of Brookland. The “Road to Narrows” is the Gowanus Road. No. 5 is the “Old Stone House”. Map by Bernard Ratzer based on his 1766-1767 survey.