Population: 6.45 million (2015)
Travel tip: Whether your curiosity is piqued by the International Olympic Committee’s selection for the 2016 Games, or you’re heeding the call of the famous twin beaches Copacabana … @tripadvisor
Area: 471.43 sq miles (1,221 km²)
Host of: 2016 Summer Olympics
Nearby airports: Rio de Janeiro–Galeão International Airport · Santos Dumont Airport
Mayor: Marcelo Crivella
Date: Feb 1692
Lived: Dec 29, 1911 – Jan 28, 1988 (age 76)
Spouse: Grete Keilson (m. 1959 – 1988)
Academic advisor: Nevill Francis Mott
Education: University of Bristol · Columbia University · University of Edinburgh · Leipzig University
Parents: Emil Fuchs (Father)
Parties: Communist Party of Germany · Social Democratic Party of Germany · Socialist Unity Party of GermanyHighlights
- 1944: He was contacted by Harry Gold (codename: “Raymond”), an NKGB agent in early 1944.
- 1944: In August 1944 Fuchs joined the Theoretical Physics Division at the Los Alamos Laboratory, working under Hans Bethe.
- 1949: Venona: Soviet Espionage and the American Response (CIA publication), contains letter from agents in 1949 about Klaus Fuchs.
- 1950: In January 1950, Fuchs arranged another interview with Skardon and voluntarily confessed that he was a spy.
- 1959: In 1959, Fuchs married a friend from his years as a student communist, Grete (Margarete) Keilson.
- 1988: He died in Berlin on 28 January 1988.
Customer service: +1 8558551961
Founded: Mar 01, 1961
Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
Founders: John F. Kennedy · Sargent Shriver · Eunice Kennedy Shriver · Harris Wofford · Mark Shriver