The Swiss Federal Charter of 1291, Union of three cantons in what is now central Switzerland
Also on this day,
1714 | A German takes the throne of Great Britain
German-born George Louis now reigns over Britain following the death of Queen Anne, with the 54-year-old becoming the first monarch of the House of Hanover. Much of the British public will deem him “too German,” but art and architecture will flourish in the new Georgian Era.1966 | Charles Whitman shoots 48 in Texas killing spree
Former Eagle Scout, ex-Marine, and engineering student Charles Whitman murders his mother and wife, then carries a cache of firearms to the top of a 300-foot tower on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin, where in 90 minutes he kills 14 and wounds 32 with sniper fire.1981 | Music videos get their own channel as MTV launches
Cashing in on a new form of popular entertainment, the MTV network debuts, complete with “video jockeys” (VJs) introducing music videos, a way of both listening to and watching popular songs. The first video shown, ‘Video Killed the Radio Star,’ will prove partially prophetic.
Born: 24 Jun 1941 · Lake Worth, FL
Died: 01 Aug 1966 · Austin, TX
Height: 6' 0"
Spouse: Kathy Leissner (m. 1962 - 1966)
Education: University of Texas at Austin
Parents: Margaret WhitmanHighlights
- 1941: Whitman was born on June 24, 1941, in Lake Worth, Florida, the eldest of three sons born to Margaret E. (Hodges) and Charles Adolphus "C. A."
- 1961: Whitman entered the mechanical engineering program at the University of Texas at Austin on September 15, 1961.
- 1962: On August 17, 1962, Whitman and Leissner were married in a Catholic ceremony held in Leissner's hometown of Needville, Texas.
- 1966: Whitman met with Dr. Maurice Dean Heatly, the staff psychiatrist at the University of Texas Health Center, on March 29, 1966.
- 1966: At approximately 4:00 p.m. on July 31, 1966, Charles and Kathy Whitman visited their close friends John and Fran Morgan.
- 1966: On August 1, 1966, he murdered his mother and wife in their homes, then went to the University of Texas at Austin where he shot and killed three people inside the university's tower.
Description: Charles Whitman
Source: 1963 Cactus, the student yearbook of the University of Texas. Copy found at "Charles Whitman Images and Documents," The Austin History Center. Reference AR.2000.002, Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Date: c 1963