Phone: 0844 493 2159
Date: Apr 16, 1746
Born: Jan 11, 1906 · Baden, Switzerland
Died: Apr 29, 2008 · Burg im Leimental, Switzerland
Inventions: Lysergic acid diethylamide
Education: University of Zurich
Parents: Adolf HofmannHighlights
- 1938: While researching lysergic acid derivatives, Hofmann first synthesized LSD on 16 November 1938.
- 1958: He first synthesized 4-AcO-DET in 1958 in the Sandoz lab.
- 1969: The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich) honored him with the title D.Sc. (honoris causa) in 1969 together with Gustav Guanella, his brother-in-law.
- 1971: After retiring from Sandoz in 1971, Hofmann was allowed to take his papers and research home.
- 1971: In 1971 the Swedish Pharmaceutical Association (Sveriges Farmacevtförbund) granted him the Scheele Award, which commemorates the skills and achievements of the Swedish Pomeranian chemist and pharmacist Carl Wilhelm Scheele.
- 2008: Hofmann died of a heart attack on 29 April 2008, surrounded by several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Date: Apr 16, 1947