Date: Apr 28, 1789
Lived: Jan 17, 1942 – Jun 03, 2016 (age 74)
Height: 6′ 3″ (1.91 m)
Spouse: Yolanda Williams (m. 1986 – 2016) · Verónica Porche Ali (m. 1977 – 1986) · Khalilah ‘Belinda’ Ali (m. 1967 – 1977) · Sonji Roi (m. 1964 – 1966)
Children: Laila Ali (Daughter) · Muhammad Ali Jr. (Son) · Asaad Amin (Son) · Maryum Ali (Daughter) · Hana Ali (Daughter) · Khaliah Ali (Daughter) · Rasheda Ali (Daughter) · Jamillah Ali (Daughter) · Miya Ali (Daughter)
Siblings: Rahman Ali (Brother)
Related movies: Ali
- 1975: Construction of the mall, the first of its kind in the Philippines, began shortly after Ali’s victory in a match with Joe Frazier in nearby Araneta Coliseum in 1975.
- 1986: On November 19, 1986, Ali married Yolanda (“Lonnie”) Williams.
- 1988: In 1988, Ali and Frazier joined Foreman, Larry Holmes, and Ken Norton in Las Vegas for the making of the film Champions Forever.
- 2002: In an interview published in 2002, Joe Frazier recalled that he had first met Ali around 1968.
- 2011: In 2011, on the eve of the 40th anniversary of his first fight with Ali, and the year of his death, Frazier reiterated that he had forgiven Ali.
- 2016: Though his condition was initially described as “fair”, it worsened and he died the following day at age 74 from septic shock.
Born: May 26, 1941 (age 75) · River Falls, WI
Spouse: Maria del Rosario Casas Dupuy · Nancy Segebarth
Education: George Washington University · University of Chicago · McLean High School
Parents: Carleton Cecil Ames (Father) · Rachel Aldrich AmesHighlights
- 1977: In 1977, Ames was assigned to handle him, and Fedorenko betrayed information about the Soviet missile program to Ames.
- 1983: Nevertheless, in September 1983, the CIA assigned Ames back to the SE division in Washington.
- 1985: Yurchenko returned to the Soviet Union in 1985 and was reassigned to a desk job within the FCD, a reward for helping to keep Ames’ spying a secret.
- 1986: In 1986 and 1991, Ames passed two polygraph examinations while spying for the Soviet Union and Russia, respectively.
- 1990: Nevertheless, in 1990–91, Ames was reassigned to the CIA’s Counterintelligence Center Analysis Group, providing him with access to “extremely sensitive data”, including information on US double agents.
- 1994: On February 22, 1994, Ames and his wife were formally charged by the United States Department of Justice with spying for the Soviet Union and Russia.
Born: Aug 08, 1940 (age 76) · Queens, NY
Spouse: Elizabeth Pavlova James
Space missions: Expedition 2 · Soyuz TM-32 · Soyuz TM-31
Education: New York University · Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Children: Bradford James Tito (Son) · Michael Anthony Tito (Son) · Paula Joan TitoHighlights
- 1972: In 1972, he founded Wilshire Associates, a leading provider of investment management, consulting and technology services in Santa Monica, California.
- 2001: In mid-2001, he spent nearly eight days in orbit as a crew member of ISS EP-1, a visiting mission to the International Space Station.
- 2002: He is a member of Psi Upsilon and received an honorary doctorate of engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on May 18, 2002 and is a former scientist of the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
|(1804) Napoleon crowns himself emperor of France|
|The 35-year-old military strategist becomes the first emperor of France in 1,000 years. The ceremony is held at Notre Dame Cathedral in the presence of the pope. Napoleon will rule until 1814 and, briefly, in 1815. He will die at 51, in exile on a remote island in the Atlantic. .|
|(1954) US Senate condemns McCarthy for Redbaiting|
|The Senate votes 65-22 to censure their colleague, Sen. Joseph McCarthy, for conduct unbecoming of a senator in his vitriolic campaign, known as McCarthyism, to root out suspected communists in the US. After the censure, his last traces of influence will evaporate, and he’ll die of alcoholism in 1957..|
|(1982) Doctors implant first permanent artificial heart in a human|
|University of Utah doctors implant the device into patient Barney Clark, a Seattle dentist who suffers from congestive heart failure and is too ill for a transplant. Clark, who knew he was unlikely to survive the surgery, will live for 112 days with the artificial heart..|
|(2001) Enron’s bankruptcy filing exposes massive fraud|
|The huge energy-trading company based in Houston sparks one of the largest corporate scandals in history when it files for bankruptcy. An investigation will reveal that executives misled investors about profits, and the ensuing scandal will wipe out retirement accounts and send key execs to prison..|
|(1792) King Louis XIV’s 68-carat ‘French Blue’ diamond is stolen|
|Looters take advantage of the French Revolution’s chaos by breaking into the Royal Storehouse and nabbing the Crown Jewels, among them a steel-blue diamond of enormous size. The ‘French Blue’ will vanish for 20 years before one recut piece surfaces in London as the Hope Diamond..|
The Tavernier Blue was the precursor diamond to the Blue Diamond of the French Crown (aka the French Blue), and subsequently the Hope Diamond.
|(1850) ‘Swedish Nightingale’ makes her US debut to rapturous acclaim|
|American showman extraordinaire P.T. Barnum has secured the Swedish singing sensation, soprano Jenny Lind, for a US concert tour and tonight’s premiere in New York is met with a thunderous ovation. The press will dub the hubbub surrounding the singer’s American debut, ‘Lind mania.’.|
Johanna Maria Lind, better known as Jenny Lind, was a Swedish opera singer, often known as the “Swedish Nightingale”. One of the most highly regarded singers of the 19th century, she performed in soprano roles in opera in Sweden and across Europe, and undertook an extraordinarily popular concert tour of America beginning in 1850. She was a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Music from 1840.
|(1973) Allende overthrown in Chile as a dictator waits in the wings|
|His presidential palace bombarded by his own air force, the world’s first democratically elected Marxist head of state, Salvador Allende, dies as a military coup ousts him from power in Chile. The South American country will then fall under the dictatorial rule of General Augusto Pinochet..|
The 1973 Chilean coup d’état was a watershed event in both the history of Chile and the Cold War. Following an extended period of social and political unrest between the right dominated Congress of Chile and the elected socialist President Salvador Allende, as well as economic warfare ordered by US President Richard Nixon, Allende was overthrown by the armed forces and national police.
|(2001) Terrorists hit major US cities in coordinated attack|
|Four passenger jets are hijacked in a terrorist suicide plot, with two planes slamming into New York’s World Trade Center twin towers, one hitting the Pentagon outside Washington, DC, and another crashing in Pennsylvania. The death toll from the worst terrorist attack on American soil will reach nearly 3,000..|
The September 11 attacks were a series of four coordinated terrorist attacks by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda on the United States on the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001. The attacks killed 2,996 people and injured over 6,000 others and caused at least $10 billion in property and infrastructure damage and $3 trillion in total costs.
|(1789) Mutiny breaks out on the HMS Bounty|
|Having completed his mission of sailing from England to Tahiti to gather breadfruit saplings, Captain Bligh finds his command under siege less than a month into the return voyage. Acting Lieutenant Fletcher Christian leads the mutinous crewmembers. .|
|(1947) The Kon-Tiki sets sail from Peru to the South Pacific|
|Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl and crew leave Peru for Polynesia in a handmade balsa wood raft to prove that ancient South Americans could’ve reached the remote islands. And 101 days and 4,300 miles of Pacific Ocean later, the Kon-Tiki and crew will do just that..|
|(1994) Ames receives life sentence after spying for Soviets|
|CIA counterintelligence officer, and spy for the USSR and Russia, Aldrich Ames pleads guilty to espionage and is sentenced to life in prison. His years of treason compromised hundreds of intelligence operations and led to the execution of sources. .|
|(2001) US millionaire entrepreneur is first tourist in space|
|A former aerospace engineer, investment banker Dennis Tito pays $20 million to hitch a ride on the Russian Soyuz TM-32 mission. The amateur astronaut will spend more than a week orbiting earth as a visitor on the International Space Station..|