Lived: Mar 30, 1853 – Jul 29, 1890 (age 37)
Height: 5′ 7″
Siblings: Theo van Gogh (Brother) · Wil van Gogh (Sister) · Elisabeth Huberta Du Quesne-van Gogh (Sister) · Anna Cornelia van Gogh (Sister) · Cornelis Vincent van Gogh (Brother)
Periods: Post-Impressionism · Divisionism
Education: Willem II College (1866 – 1868) · Royal Academy of Fine Arts · Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts
Parents: Theodorus van Gogh (Father) · Anna Carbentus van Gogh (Mother)Highlights
- 1857: His brother Theo was born on 1 May 1857.
- 1886: In February 1886 he wrote to Theo that he could only remember eating six hot meals since the previous May.
- 1886: Van Gogh moved to Paris in March 1886 where he shared Theo’s rue Laval apartment in Montmartre, and studied at Fernand Cormon’s studio.
- 1888: The Flowering Orchards (also the Orchards in Blossom) are among the first groups of work completed after Van Gogh’s arrival in Arles in February 1888.
- 1890: In May 1890 Van Gogh left the clinic in Saint-Rémy to move nearer to both Dr Paul Gachet in Auvers-sur-Oise and to Theo.
- 1890: Between 1885 and his death in 1890, Van Gogh appears to have been building an oeuvre, a collection that reflected his personal vision, and could be commercially successful.
Vincent van Gogh in 1873, when he worked at the Goupil & Cie’s gallery in The Hague.
Also on this day,
1794 | ‘Incorruptible’ Robespierre arrested in Paris
It’s the best of times, it’s the worst of times, and few figures from the French Revolution embody this contradiction better than Maximilien Robespierre, a fervent believer in Enlightenment ideals whose involvement in ‘the Terror’ leads to his arrest. He will be guillotined the following day.1940 | Brazen bunny saunters onto the screen
Huntsman Elmer J. Fudd meets “that pesky wabbit” for the first time in ‘A Wild Hare,’ an animated short subject from Warner Bros. What’s up, Doc? For Bugs Bunny, it’ll be crazy popularity, decades of movie releases, an Oscar win, and a TV compilation show that runs for 40 years.1996 | Centennial Olympic Park celebrations shattered by pipe bomb
A pipe bomb detonates after midnight at an outdoor music venue in Atlanta during the Summer Olympic Games, and although crowds had been mostly evacuated from the area, the explosion kills two and injures 111 others. A religious extremist, Eric Rudolph, will be convicted of committing the attack.
Date: Jul 27, 1996