Lived: Oct 13, 1925 – Apr 08, 2013 (age 87)
Height: 5′ 5″ (1.66 m)
Spouse: Denis Thatcher (m. 1951 – 2003)
Children: Mark Thatcher (Son) · Carol Thatcher (Daughter)
Related movies: The Iron Lady
Party: Conservative PartyHighlights
- 1951: During the campaigns, she was supported by her parents and by Denis Thatcher, whom she married in December 1951.
- 1979: Thatcher became Prime Minister on 4 May 1979.
- 1989: Thatcher was challenged for the leadership of the Conservative Party by the little-known backbench MP Sir Anthony Meyer in the 1989 leadership election.
- 1990: On 1 November 1990, Geoffrey Howe, the last remaining member of Thatcher’s original 1979 cabinet, resigned from his position as Deputy Prime Minister over her refusal to agree to a timetable for Britain to join the European Exchange Rate Mechanism.
- 2005: Upon leaving the House of Commons, Thatcher became the first former Prime Minister to set up a foundation; the British wing of the Margaret Thatcher Foundation was dissolved in 2005 because of financial difficulties.
- 2013: In 2013, she died of another stroke in London, at the age of 87.
Thatcher reviews Royal Bermuda Regiment troops, 1990
Also on this day,
1718 | Notorious English pirate dies in battle as Blackbeard is killed
The fearsome English pirate known as Blackbeard is killed in a fight with a small naval force off the coast of the North Carolina colony. Blackbeard, whose real name may have been Edward Teach, sailed a 40-gun warship and built a notorious reputation for plunder. Rumors of his buried treasure will persist for centuries.1945 | Rams receiver sets a record on Thanksgiving
Cleveland Rams receiver Jim Benton catches 10 passes for 303 yards in the team’s 28-21 victory over the Detroit Lions, setting an NFL single-game record that would stand for 40 years. Benton and the Rams would move to Los Angeles the following year.1963 | JFK assassinated as president John F. Kennedy shot and killed in Dallas
A sniper kills John F. Kennedy, the 35th US president, as his motorcade wends through Dallas, Texas. Kennedy’s wife, Jacqueline, and the Texas governor are traveling with him. Lee Harvey Oswald will soon be arrested for the shooting, but will be shot and killed himself shortly thereafter.1986 | Mike Tyson is boxing’s youngest heavyweight champ
At just 20 years old, Mike Tyson knocks out Trevor Berbick to win his first heavyweight title fight. Tyson will go on to be one of the most successful boxers in history, but his career will be marred by bankruptcy, prison stints, and biting boxer Evander Holyfield’s ear.
Date: Nov 22, 1963
Picture of President Kennedy in the limousine in Dallas, Texas, on Main Street, minutes before the assassination. Also in the presidential limousine are Jackie Kennedy, Texas Governor John Connally, and his wife, Nellie.