The lighthouse at Bodie Island (pronounced ‘body island’) keeps watch over the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, in North Carolina’s Outer Banks, a coastline dubbed the ‘Graveyard of the Atlantic’ for its long history of shipwrecks. The black-and-white striped structure shown here is the third lighthouse to stand in this vicinity. The first Bodie Island Lighthouse was abandoned in 1859 after it began to lean, and the second was destroyed during the first year of the Civil War, 1861, by Confederate soldiers who feared it would be used as a Union observation post. The current lighthouse has stood its ground since 1872.
The current Bodie Island Lighthouse is the third that has stood in this vicinity of Bodie Island on the Outer Banks in North Carolina and was built in 1872. It stands 165 feet tall and is located on the Roanoke Sound side of the first island that is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The lighthouse is just south of Nags Head, a few miles before Oregon Inlet. It was renovated from August 2009 to March 2013, and was made climbable by the public. There are 214 steps that spiral to the top. The 170-foot structure is one of only a dozen remaining tall, brick tower lighthouses in the United States — and one of the few with an original first-order Fresnel lens to cast its light.
Website: www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/bils.htm Address: 8210 Bodie Island Lighthouse Rd, Nags Head, NC 27959 Phone: (252) 441-5711 Automated: 1940 First lit: 1872 Opened: 1872 Height: 165 feet (50.29 m) (Architectural)