Year of 2017


091217
Castle Point Lighthouse, New Zealand

In the language of the indigenous Māori people, the name for this part of the New Zealand coast translates as ‘where the sky runs.’ The Castle Point Lighthouse has stood here since 1913, guiding sailors on their way to Wellington Harbour. Unlike many lighthouses from that time, Castle Point was near a school, which was a perk for the lighthouse keeper’s family. These days, the light is fully automated. It’s known among vacationers as ‘the holiday light.’


Castle Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse near the village of Castlepoint in the Wellington Region of the North Island of New Zealand. It is owned and operated by Maritime New Zealand. The light was built in 1913 and was originally fueled by oil. In 1954 the oil lamp was replaced with an electric one powered by a local diesel generator. This was subsequently replaced by a connection to the mains grid in 1961. The nearby Castlepoint beach is popular with holiday makers and the lighthouse itself became a popular tourist attraction, acquiring the nickname “The Holiday Light”.
Automated: 1988
First lit: 1913
Opened: 1913
Height: 75′ 6″ (23 m) (Architectural)

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail