Lived: Oct 13, 1925 – Apr 08, 2013 (age 87)
Height: 5′ 5″ (1.66 m)
Spouse: Denis Thatcher (m. 1951 – 2003)
Related movies: The Iron Lady
Children: Carol Thatcher (Daughter) · Mark Thatcher (Son)
Education: City Law School (1952 – 1954) · Somerville College, Oxford (1943 – 1947) · Kesteven and Grantham Girls’ School (1936 – 1943)Highlights
- 1951: During the campaigns, she was supported by her parents and by husband Denis Thatcher, whom she married in December 1951.
- 1979: Thatcher became Prime Minister on 4 May 1979.
- 2005: Upon leaving the House of Commons, Thatcher became the first former Prime Minister to set up a foundation; the British wing of the Margaret Thatcher Foundation was dissolved in 2005 due to financial difficulties.
- 2005: In 2005, Thatcher criticised the way the decision to invade Iraq had been made two years previously.
- 2009: Thatcher returned to 10 Downing Street in late November 2009 for the unveiling of an official portrait by artist Richard Stone, an unusual honour for a living former Prime Minister.
- 2013: In 2013 she died of a stroke in London at the age of 87.
Margaret Thatcher in the White House Cabinet Room meeting with President Jimmy Carter.
(1979) Thatcher sworn in as Britain’s first female prime minister.
Also on this day,
1959 | Grammys debut
1961 | Freedom Riders
1970 | Kent State shootings