Born: May 26, 1941 (age 76) · River Falls, WI
Spouse: Maria del Rosario Casas Dupuy · Nancy Segebarth
Education: University of Chicago · George Washington University · McLean High School
Parents: Carleton Cecil Ames (Father) · Rachel Ames (Mother)Highlights
- 1977: In 1977, Ames was assigned to handle him, and Fedorenko betrayed information about the Soviet missile program to Ames.
- 1980: Major General Dmitri Polyakov was the highest-ranking figure in the GRU, giving information to the CIA from the early 1960s until his retirement in 1980.
- 1985: Yurchenko returned to the Soviet Union in 1985 and was reassigned to a desk job within the FCD, a reward for helping to keep Ames’ spying a secret.
- 1986: In 1986 and 1991, Ames passed two polygraph examinations while spying for the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation, respectively.
- 1990: Nevertheless, in 1990–1991, he was reassigned to the CIA’s Counterintelligence Center Analysis Group, providing him with access to “extremely sensitive data”, including information on U.S. double agents.
- 1998: Ames’ story is dramatized in the 1998 movie Aldrich Ames: Traitor Within, starring Timothy Hutton as Ames.
A young Aldrich Ames in the 1958 McLean High School yearbook
(1994) Ames receives life sentence after spying for Soviets.
Also on this day,
1789 | Mutiny on the Bounty
1967 | Ali defies the draft
2001 | Space tourist