Born: May 30, 1934 (age 83) · Listvyanka, Russia
Height: 5′ 4″ (1.63 m)
Spouse: Svetlana Pavlovna Dozenko
Space missions: Voskhod 2 · Apollo–Soyuz Test Project
Movies: Tank on the Moon
Children: Oksana A. (Daughter) · Viktoria A. (Daughter)Highlights
- 1960: Leonov was one of the 20 Soviet Air Force pilots selected to be part of the first cosmonaut group in 1960.
- 1965: On 18 March 1965, he became the first human to conduct extravehicular activity (EVA), exiting the capsule during the Voskhod 2 mission for a 12-minute spacewalk.
- 1965: He was outside the spacecraft for 12 minutes and nine seconds on 18 March 1965, connected to the craft by a 5.35-meter tether.
- 1968: In 1968, Leonov was selected to be commander of a circumlunar Soyuz 7K-L1 flight.
- 1970: A crater on the far side of the moon was named after Leonov in 1970, near Mare Moscoviense (Sea of Moscow).
- 1984: Leonov, along with Rusty Schweickart, Vitaly Sevastyanov, and Georgi Grechko established the Association of Space Explorers in 1984.
Soviet cosmonauts (front row, from left): Vladimir Komarov, Yuri Gagarin, Valentina Tereshkova, Andrian Nikolayev, Konstantin Feoktistov, Pavel Belyaev, second row: Alexei Leonov, German Titov, Valery Bykovsky, Boris Yegorov, and Pavel Popovich. Star City.