Born: Sep 07, 1900 · Ferruzzano, Italy
Died: Mar 20, 1933 · Raiford, United States
Height: 5′ 1″ (1.55 m)Highlights
- 1900: Zangara was born on September 7, 1900, in Ferruzzano, Calabria, Italy.
- 1923: After serving in the Tyrolean Alps in World War I, he did a variety of menial jobs in his home village before emigrating with his uncle to the United States in 1923.
- 1929: He settled in Paterson, New Jersey, and became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1929.
- 1933: Zangara was an Italian American anarchist who shot Cermak and four others in Miami, Florida, on February 15, 1933, during a night speech by United States President–elect Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1933: After spending only 10 days on death row, Zangara was executed on March 20, 1933 in Old Sparky, the electric chair at Florida State Prison in Raiford.
Mug shot of Giuseppe Zangara.