Lived: Nov 14, 1908 – May 02, 1957 (age 48)
Spouse: Jean Kerr (m. 1953 – 1957)
Movies: Point of Order
Parties: Republican Party · Democratic Party
Education: Marquette University Law School · Marquette University · University of Wisconsin-Madison
Children: Tierney Elizabeth McCarthy (Daughter)Highlights
- 1950: The term “McCarthyism”, coined in 1950 in reference to McCarthy’s practices, was soon applied to similar anti-communist activities.
- 1953: In 1953, McCarthy married Jean Kerr, a researcher in his office.
- 1954: McCarthy subpoenaed Peress to appear before his subcommittee on January 30, 1954.
- 1954: On March 9, 1954, Vermont Republican Senator Ralph E. Flanders gave a humor-laced speech on the Senate floor, questioning McCarthy’s tactics in fighting communism, likening McCarthyism to “housecleaning” with “much clatter and hullabaloo”.
- 1954: To counter the negative publicity, McCarthy appeared on See It Now on April 6, 1954, and made a number of charges against the popular Murrow, including the accusation that he colluded with VOKS, the “Russian espionage and propaganda organization”.
- 1957: McCarthy died in Bethesda Naval Hospital on May 2, 1957, at the age of 48.
Joseph Raymond McCarthy.