Born: Mar 18, 1936 (age 81) · Johannesburg, South Africa
Height: 5′ 10″ (1.78 m)
Awards: Nobel Peace Prize (1993) · Time Person of the Year (1993) · Félix Houphouët-Boigny Peace Prize (1991) · Philadelphia Liberty Medal (1993) · Prince of Asturias Award for International Cooperation (1992)
Parties: National Party · New National Party
Education: Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education
Previous offices: Deputy President of South Africa (1994 – 1996) · State President of South Africa (1989 – 1994)Highlights
- 1989: After Botha succumbed to ill health, in 1989 de Klerk replaced him, first as leader of the National Party and then as State President.
- 1996: In May 1996, after the National Party objected to the new constitution, de Klerk withdrew it from the coalition government.
- 1998: F.W. de Klerk married Elita Georgiades on November 07, 1998.
- 2001: On 3 December 2001, Marike de Klerk was found stabbed and strangled to death in her Cape Town flat.
- 2003: On 15 May 2003, he received two life sentences for murder, as well as three years for breaking into Marike de Klerk’s apartment.
- 2009: After the inauguration of Jacob Zuma as South Africa’s president in May 2009, de Klerk said he is optimistic that Zuma and his government can “confound the prophets of doom”.
Frederik de Klerk and Nelson Mandela shake hands at the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum held in Davos in January 1992.