Lived: Nov 10, 1483 – Feb 18, 1546 (age 62)
Spouse: Katharina von Bora (m. 1525 – 1546)
Education: University of Erfurt (1501 – 1505)
Children: Paul Luther (Son) · Elisabeth Luther (Daughter) · Magdalena Luther (Daughter) · Martin Luther (Son) · Hans Luther (Son) · Margarethe Luther (Daughter)
Parents: Margarethe Luther (Mother) · Hans Luther (Father)
Siblings: Jacob Luther (Brother)Highlights
- 1517: According to one account, Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg on 31 October 1517.
- 1520: Three of his best-known works were published in 1520: To the Christian Nobility of the German Nation, On the Babylonian Captivity of the Church, and On the Freedom of a Christian.
- 1521: After secretly visiting Wittenberg in early December 1521, Luther wrote A Sincere Admonition by Martin Luther to All Christians to Guard Against Insurrection and Rebellion.
- 1524: He supplied four of eight songs of the First Lutheran hymnal Achtliederbuch, 18 of 26 songs of the Erfurt Enchiridion, and 24 of the 32 songs in the first choral hymnal with settings by Johann Walter, Eyn geystlich Gesangk Buchleyn, all published in 1524.
- 1525: Martin Luther married Katharina von Bora on June 13, 1525.
- 1546: An apoplectic stroke deprived him of his speech, and he died shortly afterwards at 2:45 a.m. on 18 February 1546, aged 62, in Eisleben, the city of his birth.
Luther’s 1534 Bible.