Lived: Jul 02, 1908 – Jan 24, 1993 (age 84)
Spouse: Cecilia Suyat (m. 1955 – 1993) · Vivian Burey (m. 1929 – 1955)
Education: Howard University School of Law · Lincoln University · Howard University · Frederick Douglass High School
Children: Thurgood Marshall, Jr. (Son)
Founded: NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
Parents: Norma Africa Marshall (Mother) · William Marshall (Father)Highlights
- 1934: He began his 25-year affiliation with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) in 1934 by representing the organization in the law school discrimination suit Murray v. Pearson.
- 1936: In 1936, Marshall became part of the national staff of the NAACP.
- 1955: After her death in February 1955, Marshall married Cecilia Suyat in December of that year.
- 1955: Thurgood Marshall married Cecilia Suyat on December 01, 1955.
- 1965: Marshall remained on that court until 1965, when President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to be the United States Solicitor General, the first African American to hold the office.
- 1993: Marshall died of heart failure at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, at 2:58 pm on January 24, 1993, at the age of 84.