Born: 24 Jun 1941 · Lake Worth, FL
Died: 01 Aug 1966 · Austin, TX
Height: 6′ 0″
Spouse: Kathy Leissner (m. 1962 – 1966)
Education: University of Texas at Austin
Parents: Margaret WhitmanHighlights
- 1941: Whitman was born on June 24, 1941, in Lake Worth, Florida, the eldest of three sons born to Margaret E. (Hodges) and Charles Adolphus “C. A.”
- 1961: Whitman entered the mechanical engineering program at the University of Texas at Austin on September 15, 1961.
- 1962: On August 17, 1962, Whitman and Leissner were married in a Catholic ceremony held in Leissner’s hometown of Needville, Texas.
- 1966: Whitman met with Dr. Maurice Dean Heatly, the staff psychiatrist at the University of Texas Health Center, on March 29, 1966.
- 1966: At approximately 4:00 p.m. on July 31, 1966, Charles and Kathy Whitman visited their close friends John and Fran Morgan.
- 1966: On August 1, 1966, he murdered his mother and wife in their homes, then went to the University of Texas at Austin where he shot and killed three people inside the university’s tower.
Description: Charles Whitman
Source: 1963 Cactus, the student yearbook of the University of Texas. Copy found at “Charles Whitman Images and Documents,” The Austin History Center. Reference AR.2000.002, Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Date: c 1963