Lived: Aug 26, 1935 – Mar 26, 2011 (age 75)
Spouse: John Zaccaro (m. 1960 – 2011)
Children: Laura Zaccaro (Daughter) · Donna Zaccaro (Daughter) · John Jr. Zaccaro
Party: Democratic Party
Parents: Dominick Ferraro · Antonetta L. Ferraro
Education: Fordham University School of Law · Marymount Manhattan College · Fordham UniversityHighlights
- 1956: Ferraro received a Bachelor of Arts in English in 1956; she was the first woman in her family to gain a college degree.
- 1960: Geraldine Ferraro married John Zaccaro on July 16, 1960.
- 1984: During September 2008, Ferraro gained attention yet again after the announcement of Sarah Palin as the Republican vice-presidential nominee, the first such major party bid for a woman since her own in 1984.
- 1985: Her husband John Zaccaro had pleaded guilty in January 1985, to fraudulently obtaining bank financing in a real estate transaction and had been sentenced to 150 hours of community service.
- 1992: Ferraro ran campaigns for a seat in the United States Senate from New York in 1992 and 1998, both times starting as the front-runner for her party’s nomination before losing in the primary election.
- 2011: Unable to return to her New York home, Ferraro died at Massachusetts General on March 26, 2011.