Lived: Sep 08, 1157 – Apr 06, 1199 (age 41)
Height: 6′ 5″ (1.96 m)
Spouse: Berengaria of Navarre (m. 1191)
Parents: Eleanor of Aquitaine (Mother) · Henry II of England (Father)
Children: Philip of Cognac (Son)
Siblings: Geoffrey (Brother) · Marie of France, Countess of Champagne (Sister) · William IX, Count of Poitiers (Brother) · Henry the Young King (Brother) · John, King of England (Brother) · Eleanor of England, Queen of Castile (Sister) · Matilda of England, Duchess of Saxony (Sister) · Geoffrey II, Duke of Brittany (Brother) · Joan of England, Queen of Sicily (Sister)Highlights
- 1157: Richard was born on 8 September 1157, probably at Beaumont Palace, in Oxford, England, son of King Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.
- 1171: In 1171 Richard left for Aquitaine with his mother, and Henry II gave him the duchy of Aquitaine at the request of Eleanor.
- 1187: To strengthen his position, in 1187, Richard allied himself with 22-year-old Philip II, the son of Eleanor’s ex-husband Louis VII by Adele of Champagne.
- 1188: His father and Philip II had done so at Gisors on 21 January 1188 after receiving news of the fall of Jerusalem to Saladin.
- 1191: Richard I of England married Berengaria of Navarre on May 12, 1191.
- 1191: He then moved south, defeating Saladin’s forces at the Battle of Arsuf 30 miles (50 km) north of Jaffa on 7 September 1191.