Taking a Break
Born: 1565 · England
Died: 1611 · Hudson Bay
Spouse: Katherine Hudson
Children: John Hudson (Son) · Richard Hudson (Son) · Henry Hudson (Son) · David Hudson (Son) · Oliver Hudson (Son)
Parents: Henry Hudson (Father) · Katherine Hudson (Mother) · Barbara Alderman (Mother)
Founded: Muscovy CompanyHighlights
- 1607: In 1607 and 1608, Hudson made two attempts on behalf of English merchants to find a rumored Northeast Passage to Cathay (present-day China) via a route above the Arctic Circle.
- 1608: In 1608, English merchants of the East India and Muscovy Companies again sent Hudson in the Hopewell to attempt to locate a passage to the Indies, this time to the east around northern Russia.
- 1609: In 1609 he landed in North America and explored the region around the modern New York metropolitan area, looking for a Northwest Passage to Asia on behalf of the Dutch East India Company.
- 1609: On 6 September 1609 John Colman of his crew was killed by Indians with an arrow to his neck.
- 1610: In 1610, Hudson obtained backing for another voyage, this time under the English flag.
- 1611: In 1611, after wintering on the shore of James Bay, Hudson wanted to press on to the west, but most of his crew mutinied.
Lived: May 13, 1914 – Apr 12, 1981 (age 66)
Height: 6′ 2″ (1.87 m)
Spouse: Martha Jefferson (m. 1959 – 1981) · Rose Morgan (m. 1955 – 1958) · Marva Trotter (m. 1946 – 1949) · Marva Trotter (m. 1935 – 1945)
Children: Joseph Louis Barrow Jr. (Son) · Joe Louis Barrow Jr. (Son) · Jacqueline Barrow (Daughter)
Boxer weight division: Heavyweight
Martial art: BoxingHighlights
- 1935: Joe Louis married Marva Trotter on September 24, 1935; their marriage lasted 10 years till March 27, 1945.
- 1937: Louis’s manager Mike Jacobs attempted to arrange a rematch in 1937, but negotiations broke down when Schmeling demanded 30% of the gate.
- 1939: world light heavyweight champion John Henry Lewis who, attempting to move up a weight class, was knocked out in the first round by Louis on January 25, 1939.
- 1939: “Two Ton” Tony Galento, who was able to knock Louis to the canvas with a left hook in the third round of their bout on June 28, 1939, before letting his guard down and being knocked out in the fourth.
- 1947: After trouble finding another suitable opponent, on December 5, 1947, Louis met Jersey Joe Walcott, a 33-year-old veteran with a 44–11–2 record.
- 1981: Louis died of cardiac arrest in Desert Springs Hospital near Las Vegas on April 12, 1981, just hours after his last public appearance viewing the Larry Holmes–Trevor Berbick Heavyweight Championship.
Source elevation: 1,093 feet (333.15 m)
Length: 84.90 miles (136.63 km)
Basin area: 810.81 sq miles (2,100 km²)
Mouth elevation: 571 feet (174 meter)
Cities: Cleveland · Akron
Mouth: Cleveland · Lake Erie