Lived: Jul 02, 1925 – Jun 12, 1963 (age 37)
Spouse: Myrlie Evers-Williams (m. 1951 – 1963)
Children: James Van Evers (Son) · Darrell Kenyatta Evers (Son) · Reena Denise Evers (Daughter)
Education: Alcorn State University
Siblings: Charles Evers (Brother) · Ruth Evers (Sister) · Elizabeth Evers (Sister) · Gene · Eva Lee
Parents: James Evers (Father) · Jesse Evers (Mother)Highlights
- 1948: In 1948, Evers enrolled at Alcorn Agricultural and Mechanical College (a historically black college, now Alcorn State University) majoring in business administration.
- 1951: On December 24, 1951, he married classmate Myrlie Beasley.
- 1954: Evers was murdered by Byron De La Beckwith, a member of the White Citizens’ Council, a group formed in 1954 to resist integration of schools and civil rights activity.
- 1954: On November 24, 1954, Evers was named the NAACP’s first field secretary for Mississippi.
- 1963: In 1963, he was awarded the Spingarn Medal from the NAACP.
- 1963: On June 7, 1963, Evers was nearly run down by a car after he emerged from the NAACP office in Jackson.
Date: Jun 12, 1987
Start date: Jan 25, 1995
End date: Oct 03, 1995