Lived: Dec 27, 1571 – Nov 15, 1630 (age 58)
Spouse: Susanna Reuttinger (m. 1613) · Barbara Müller (m. 1597 – 1611)
Education: Tübinger Stift (1587 – 1591)
Children: Sebald Kepler (Son) · Heinrich Kepler (Son) · Ludwig Kepler (Son) · Friedrich Kepler (Son) · Hildebert Kepler (Son) · Fridmar Kepler (Son) · Cordula Kepler (Daughter) · Susanna Kepler (Daughter) · Margareta Regina Kepler (Daughter)
Siblings: Katharina Kepler (Sister)
Parents: Katharina Kepler (Mother) · Heinrich Kepler (Father)Highlights
- 1600: On February 4, 1600, Kepler met Tycho Brahe and his assistants Franz Tengnagel and Longomontanus at Benátky nad Jizerou (35 km from Prague), the site where Tycho’s new observatory was being constructed.
- 1601: Two days after Tycho’s unexpected death on October 24, 1601, Kepler was appointed his successor as imperial mathematician with the responsibility to complete his unfinished work.
- 1609: By the end of the year, he completed the manuscript for Astronomia nova, though it would not be published until 1609 due to legal disputes over the use of Tycho’s observations, the property of his heirs.
- 1613: On October 30, 1613, Kepler married the 24-year-old Susanna Reuttinger.
- 1623: In 1623, Kepler at last completed the Rudolphine Tables, which at the time was considered his major work.
- 1630: He died on November 15, 1630, and was buried there; his burial site was lost after the Swedish army destroyed the churchyard.
Launched: Jan 03, 1863
Founded: Apr 27, 1961
GDP: $4.21 billion USD (2015)
Calling code: 232
President: Ernest Bai Koroma
Currency: Sierra Leonean leone