Start date: Mar 29, 1865
End date: Apr 09, 1865
Born: Nov 02, 1903 · Connecticut, United States
Died: May 23, 1994 · Waterbury, CTHighlights
- 1040: He planted his first bomb on November 16, 1940, leaving it on a window sill at the Consolidated Edison power plant at 170 West 64th Street in Manhattan.
- 1951: His first two bombs drew little attention, but the string of random bombings that began in 1951 frayed the city’s nerves and taxed the resources of the New York City Police Department (NYPD).
- 1957: Accompanied by Waterbury police, four NYPD detectives arrived at Metesky’s home with a search warrant shortly before midnight on Monday, January 21, 1957.
- 1957: On April 18, 1957, Judge Liebowitz committed Metesky to the Matteawan Hospital for the Criminally Insane at Beacon, New York.
- 1973: In 1973, the United States Supreme Court ruled that a mentally ill defendant cannot be committed to a hospital operated by the New York State Department of Correctional Services unless a jury finds him dangerous.
- 1994: George Metesky died on May 23, 1994 in Waterbury, United States.
Start date: Nov 01, 1955
End date: Apr 30, 1975