Lived: Dec 08, 1542 – Feb 08, 1587 (age 44)
Height: 5′ 11″ (1.80 m)
Spouse: James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell (m. 1567 – 1578) · Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley (m. 1565 – 1567) · Francis II of France (m. 1558 – 1559)
Children: James VI and I (Son)
Parents: James V of Scotland (Father) · Mary of Guise (Mother)
Buried: Peterborough Cathedral · Henry VII ChapelHighlights
- 1554: Arran, with the support of his friends and relations, became the regent until 1554 when Mary’s mother managed to remove and succeed him.
- 1566: Mary’s son by Darnley, James, was born on 19 June 1566 in Edinburgh Castle, but the murder of Rizzio led inevitably to the breakdown of her marriage.
- 1567: James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, was generally believed to have orchestrated Darnley’s death, but he was acquitted of the charge in April 1567, and the following month he married Mary.
- 1567: Mary, Queen of Scots married James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell on May 15, 1567; their marriage lasted 11 years till April 14, 1578.
- 1567: On 24 July 1567, she was forced to abdicate in favour of James VI, her one-year-old son by Darnley.
- 1571: In 1571, Cecil and Walsingham uncovered the Ridolfi Plot, which was a plan to replace Elizabeth with Mary with the help of Spanish troops and the Duke of Norfolk.
Start date: Feb 08, 1904
End date: Sep 05, 1905
Founded: Feb 08, 1950
Ceased operation: Mar 31, 1990